August 02, 2019

Two Fake Customs Auctioneers Defraud Lagos Businessman Of N4.3m (Photo)


The Nigeria Police have arrested two suspected fraudsters who impersonated officials of the Nigeria Customs Service auctioneers on Facebook and other social media sites.

The police also warned members of the public to be wary of fraudsters who pretend to be officials from the Customs auction Department or agent, as they use it to swindle unsuspecting victims.

Already, Saturday and Amos had defrauded a businessman, Adeniyi Adegboyega, of  N4.3million in a phony car auctioning deal, before they were arrested in Ewan, Edo State.

  The suspects

One of the suspects, Amos, said: “I  was arrested because I was impersonating the Nigeria Customs service as an officer in charge of auctioning.  I started fraud this year, on  February and it was Jimoh who is now on the run that introduced me to the business..  I would give cheap prices to all the goods that I advertised because Nigerians are gullible, they fall for our trick. We used to advertise cars, rice and groundnut oil and some other things. You know that many people are hungry, once they hear that a bag of rice is sold as low as N1,500, they would start booking for many bags. Some would want to buy and resell”.

Adegboyega, a Lagos based businessman, said he met them on Facebook and they made him believe that they were genuine custom officials on auction exercise but ended up defrauding him of his hard-earned money.

The victim in his statements to the police stated that: “  I met a Facebook user with the name Funke, begging of the year. We started chatting on WhatsApp and messenger.  On May 23,  Funke me an advertisement on the Nigeria customs service auction sales for 2019 and introduced me to one Mutari and  Abbas who claimed that they were customs officers and they offered to process some vehicle documents that they would send to me to enable me to buy cars.  They asked me to pay N650,000 for a Lexus  RX 330  Sports Utility Vehicle, but I didn’t make any payment, then another set of individuals, who identified themselves as Effiong, Khadijat and Garba approached me and offered me to buy a Mercedes Benz E350, 2010 Model sets and another two sets of, Toyota Hiace buses 650,000, each, they sent me accounts numbers belonging  Mbu Ebhat, Obhasi David, Jacob Dennis Okiemute, Kokten Monday Kinben, in UBA, First and GT banks and I paid a total of N4.3million into those accounts but after making the payments all those who claimed to be  customs officers refused to pick my calls anymore, so I reported the matter to IRT operatives who trailed the suspects to their home town in Edo State and arrested them”.



No comments:

Designed by Linda Blog.