January 18, 2014

Mysterious fire guts 2 houses in Jos



By Taye Obateru & Marie-Therese Nanlong, Jos
Fire said to be mysterious has gutted two separate houses in the same Yan-Trailer area of Jos, the Plateau State capital within 24hrs with property worth millions of naira destroyed.
The first house belonging to one Mr. Garba saw his son’s room burnt at about 5pm on Thursday while another house whose owner was not identified at the time of this report also got burnt about 4pm on yesterday.
Narrating the Thursday’s incidence, the wife of
the owner of the room, Mrs. Mary Garba told Saturday Vanguard the incident is still a mystery to her because there was nothing that could cause fire outbreak in her room.
Her words, “I was in the house with my mother in-law and my friend whose house got burnt today (Friday). I wanted to see her off so I can come and prepare food and as we stepped out, we saw smoke coming out of my room. We went back to check and luckily the fire was put out before it engulfed other parts of the house though many of our things including my bed got burnt in the room”.
Commenting on the possible cause of the fire, she said, “that is why I am saying that I am still surprised because there was no light and PHCN even disconnected our light earlier in the day. I did not put on anything that could cause fire”.
However, the friend who was not in the position to make any comment as she lost everything to the fire is a tenant in the two-flat bungalow which got burnt yesterday.
According to neighbours who made frantic efforts to put out the fire but could not salvage much, yesterday’s fire started at about 4pm and no one could tell its cause as no one was in the building when it started.
One of them who declined giving his name said, “Honestly, no one knows the cause of the fire because there was no power supply but the fire started in a kitchen of one of the two flats”.<see more at>


No comments:

Designed by Linda Blog.